Please think good thoughts for our sweet beautiful Eostre, who hasn't been eating and will be spending an unhappy night at the vet's tonight. Thanks...
Thursday, October 30, 2008
- Candy corn. I’m not huge on the sweets, but I do love me some candy corn. Funny story: Every year when I was a kid, I’d bite the white top off a piece of candy corn, put it in my palm, hold out my hand, and say “Mom, I broke a tooth!” And every single year, she would fall for it. (Love you, Mom!)
- It’s traditionally believed that All Hallow’s Eve is the time when the veil between the worlds is thinnest, so it’s a time to remember and honor those who have passed before us.
- It’s autumn!
- Dressing up! As a costumer, I like having the excuse to put together something new and silly—and see what all my friends have come up with. (At our party this year, five of us ended up in faerie costumes… Not surprising given that three of the five had been to Labyrinth of Jareth this summer.)
- Decorations! My house is decorated, and I’ve helped a friend decorate her house, too. Our local historic district (two blocks away; although we’re in an historic house ourselves, we’re outside of the official boundary) goes all out for Halloween, so one of our traditions is to walk the area and enjoy the decorations and the thousand (yes, 1000) kids in costume.
- Gummy worms. Again, I’m not a big sweets person, but a friend always has a cauldron with gummy worms hanging out of it, and I always have to eat a few worms…slowly…with them wriggling out the corner of my mouth…
- My Samhain playlist. Fun, spooky songs abound!
- Practical Magic, one of my favorite movies—Halloween’s an excuse to watch it again!
- My “Spooky” t-shirt.
- My plethora of Halloween-themed socks!
- My bat earrings.
- Nobody looks at you funny if you’re dressed Goth. Or you have a Goth-y house.
- It’s New Year’s Eve, a time to reflect on the past year and look ahead to the new year. The Wheel turns…
Monday, October 27, 2008
Hee! So, we’ve been planning to go to Vegas in early December to see two Shaw/Blades shows, right? We’d hoped to stay with friends there, but circumstances aren’t allowing it. I checked to see where our Styx peeps would be staying, but they were kind of scattered in different casinos, and at pricey ones at that. So we’ve been debating whether we should stay off-strip, and if so, where, etc.
Then I remembered something, checked it out, and squee! Bite, an erotic vampire show that I’ve been wanting to see for two years, is still going! It’s playing at the Stratosphere, and while the Stratosphere no longer has the cool “suspended over the city a gazillion feet up” roller coaster, it has several other scary-fun rides up top… You can see where this is going. I got a great package deal on the hotel (Tower Premier room!) and rides, and it turns out Bite is buy one, get one free tickets for hotel guests! We’ll stay a third night (which made our second night’s hotel room free), miss Sunday traffic, get scared silly, and potentially be dragged on stage and bitten by hot vampire chicks to the sounds of 70s and 80s rock. What’s not to love?!
That’s two Shaw/Blades shows, one erotic vampire show, hanging out with friends (our Styx fan friends as well as the ones who live in Vegas), and adrenalin-rushing rides. And maybe, if we have time, we’ll see the big kitties at the MGM or The Mirage…